Friday, September 2, 2016

Sewing in Jerusalem - or trying to...

Well, I've been looking for a sewing machine almost since the moment we arrived on August 6th and I still don't have my own machine!

Shopping here is so different.  There are two sewing machine stores in Jerusalem - a city with about 850,000 people in it.  When I drive to Idaho Falls, a small town by comparison (55,000) there are three stores, they each have many new machines and are ready to send three home with you at any given moment!

The first store I went to here did not have a single new machine in the store, and it was pretty dirty. They said they could get some from the warehouse, but it was a brand I don't have confidence in. All they had was worn out, used machines. I don't have anything against used machines, if they have been maintained and work like they should...

The second store I went to was cluttered, but clean.  They had several new machines, but they were all the basic models, not the ones with the bells and whistles I have become used to and now feel are necessities!  I need to have a walking foot, needle down, needle threader, thread cutter...

The second store sold Berninas, so I decided to go with one of those, even though I haven't been able to sew on it yet. I asked them to order me a 550.  He called me back the next day and said they don't make those anymore, but he would get me a 560, I said great! Then he said it would take 3 weeks. Aaah! OK, order it! Then he called me back a few days later and said he had sold one to a customer two months ago, and she was willing to sell me her machine for a low price. I suspect he has talked her into something from the 800 series. "The machine is basically new!" he says. And, I can have it right away, he will honor the warranty and all that good stuff. I decide to go with it, and here I am still waiting.

They did give me a loaner machine so I can at least be sewing. Of course, I'm not paying for it until I run that machine through it's paces! I'll do some free motion quilting, a buttonhole, decorative stitches and anything else I can think of to make sure it really is as good as new. I even looked up how I can check to see how many stitches it has sewn, just to make sure it really is barely used.

I'll report back and let you know, I'm hoping I will have it in the next few days...

Meanwhile, here's something to smile about:


1 comment:

  1. You made it there safely! Good! Hopefully, you will get a sewing machine that suits you - sooner rather than later. Are you settled in? Laughed at the couch being torn up. In our family, there have been a couple of couches and a mattress ruined by dogs. Luckily, no quilts. Would love to hear from you when you have time. Cin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...